Saturday, January 08, 2005

blog: the word sounds like an unending trudge through hardship

I've been thinking about the idea of a blog. This written record, sitting, waiting to be read. I still haven't reached any conclusions apart from the fact that I believe its a bit self indulgent but then again so is eating a whole thing of ice-cream on your own and we've all done it.
I don't know though, Mark was wondering whether its worse than group mails, and as much as we all love getting personal mails there is the sanity of the writer to consider. The news being more or less the same albeit often censored depending on the recipients. With a blog though you are writing to no one and to everyone at the same time. Unsure of who will read it and when. Personal references will be lost on some people and would be better placed in an email and more general talk is just downright boring. I mean if we look at our communication systems now and try and assign them roles in the world of more traditional media, where would we place the blog?. Would it be like taking an ad out in the newspaper and telling your friends which newspaper to buy, or maybe sticking up notices around an area that you know your friends frequent, allowing them the opportunity to read and respond in the same public manner.
Well, anyone having said all that, perhaps now I will go about writing my first traditional (if you can apply that word to this form) entry, filled with the thoughts, events and inevitable mishaps of an atypical day, in Irkutsk.

1 Comments:

At 3:54 pm, Blogger Katherine said...

That's very thoughtful OHB.
No news in the ITI, I am doing a webpage about Income Tax changes since Budget 'O5, look out for it!
KK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home