Tuesday, January 25, 2005

there was life before i arrived in your country

I've just spent ages trying to install open-office on my computer as I was getting a bit annoyed with text edit being my only word processor. I've been putting off doing a new c.v. with the excuse being that I can't lay it out properly in this. However I had about as much success as a three legged cat trying to catch Speedy Gonzales. So here we are back in text edit again as cv-less as I was an hour ago.
Mesha just rang there telling me he had located a Russian teacher for me. The guy at the skating rink was perhaps the push I needed to actually get up off my ass and get some structured classes, my knowledge of random words, though useful, is not enough anymore.
I was perhaps not as overjoyed as I should have been when he told me that the woman quoted the price in dollars. It really annoys me when they do that, do they think that the stupid foreigner can't understand their currency or that we would get confused by roubles. Some people really believe that foreigners came down in the last fall of snow, you see it everywhere, from the blatant raising of prices under your nose to the multitude of common-sense instructions bestowed daily. "Put on your hat before you go out, its cold outside" -really? and here was me thinking that someone had just spilt a load of white paint all over the city.
It just annoys me when people think that you are stupid, or that as Russians they possess the pearls of knowledge, I as a foreigner could never aspire to own. The first phrase I'm going to ask my teacher to teach me is "Just because I'm not Russian doesn't mean I'm a total eijit"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home