I'd like to speak to Mr Whippy please...
I got a load (an abundance!) of Nick Cave mp3s from one of my students today, so I now sit listening to the man himself accompanied by Kylie Minogue. We saw him once, in Edinburgh, it was actually not as easy as all that. Some of the lads who we were living with had bought tickets, but we (Ais, Deirdre and I) couldn't afford them. Ais and I were working for Victor Zaccardeli at the time in a cafe in Prince's St Gardens. Do not be fooled by the fact that it sounds like a mundane cafe job, it will definitely go down as one of the most memorable in history and the stories from that summer could fill many a line of html surrounded blog.As we worked in the gardens we managed to blag our way past the security guards wearing our lovely "Mr. Whippy" t-shirts, insisting that we were working for the duration of the concert. The next problem was getting into the area where the concert was actually being held. It was a seated area surrounded by a big hedge. I had actually forgotton all about this until I heard the song. For some reason we sent Deirdre over the hedge first, now, there seems to be no logic attached apart from the fact that she was the lightest and perhaps we saw her as causing the least damage should she land on top of someone. So a boost from us later, she was over. The seconds that followed seemed to last forever, Ais and I were experiencing visions of Deirdre totally immobile splayed on her back, until we heard a feeble little voice answering our shouts of concern. I can't remember who went next, but we all made it over and found the others. The seats were those little plastic affairs, kind of like the ones we had in school but they were welded together, there was no way to make any more room, so we crouched down between the lads' seats and allowed Nick's voice to fill the air around us. I remember being overwhelmed by the amount he smoked while on stage.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home