Knackedy Yack
Every muscle in my body is aching, I would willingly submit myself to Radox tests at the moment and hopefully prove their claims of easing aching bodies. Don't get excited it's not from anything interesting, exotic or erotic but from plain old basketball. Well actually, volleyball, basketball and lastly ice-fall. The latter is a Siberian sport that people of all ages practice daily though I have declined until now. I was secretly being very smug about not having slipped, but it only takes a fraction of a second to break a record.We had a staff sports thing on Sunday afternoon, it was actually great craic and was one segment of the busiest non-working day I've had in ages. I went to the cinema at 10 in the morning I felt a bit like Muireann, she used to slink out of Granby early on Sunday mornings and go to the cinema, she'd be home again before any of us managed to crawl out of bed.
There is a British film week at the moment, but as usual its not as good as it sounds. the films are shown at 10 in the morning, in English, which rules out nearly every day for me and at 6 in the evening in Russian, the ones with the translation are more expensive. I arrived at the cinema, and felt like some sort of guest of honour, loads of my students were there, a professor from the university, I suppose anyone who is interested in English. I was afraid Igor of flower fame would be there so I made a beeline for my seat with my head down.
The film was called 'One for the Road', I don't know if anyone has seen it. It's tough, a harsh enough portrayal of what for a lot of people both at home and in Britain is a reality. A life that can't be estranged from alcohol. Apart from the language and accents I think the subject matter was totally inaccessible to the audience. It was a very strange choice. Some of my students were talking about it yesterday and were asking me why they didn't choose to show a happy film. I explained that I think films should to an extent represent real life. They told me that they have enough of real life and that they go the cinema to get away from it, a Russian reality.

1 Comments:
Howya Banker,
hope you are having a nice iChat. I am jealous, I'd love to be at home under my duvet chatting away.
Post a Comment
<< Home