Wednesday, April 20, 2005

this week, i'll be mainly eating acorns

Sitting outside in the wind, Irish sun, shining beautifully but no heat, Dad put up the sun umbrella the other day, its amazing how your mind can tell your body. This table is one of the ones we took over from the old house, a picnic table with a wooden bench attached on either side, like the ones you find at those lay-bys scattered along the country side, used for those few weeks a year when you can actually eat outside in Ireland, its the perfect height for typing.
This is the first day when I've been at something of a loss for something to do, though having said that I could put away my things or try and put some semblance of order in my room, or wash my hair, but.... I've been really busy since I've been home, but in a totally different way than I would be busy at another time or in another place. I've been down to Niamh in Bantry loads with the intention of giving her a hand to sort out her house a bit, but we sat, watched telly and ate biscuits. Then I went on an art trail at the weekend, which left me with a mishmash of feelings about what I saw and what I want to do, and revived a sense of anger and annoyance at the people involved in such things, though a little of that was based on the fact that I didn't have my camera with me.
A cat has just tottered down the drive way there, I think we are subject to some sort of feline revenge as we are inundated with strays, though to be honest I think some of them are relatives of the cats Dad sent to Hungry Hill on their "holidays" over the years.
The art trail began in Skibereen, a place I have rarely visited apart from when Dee was doing her driving lessons, to us in Beara it has numerous connotations, the most prevalent however being that of the mental hospital, though now for another generation that could be superseded by the fact that they now boast a LIDL, which of course I visited. Their featured sports this week however, were horse riding and golf so I wasn't too impressed, its fishing next week so I may have to make a return visit. I went with Marc, a friend of ours who is writing for the Examiner at the moment, this managed to gain him two passes and an inordinate amount of respect-seriously, talk about guest of honour and as his companion for the day, some of this overflowed in my general direction. i just had to leave the table there as my hands were getting cold, in the shade, sitting on the tarmac now by the garage as this is where to sun has chosen to warm, i'm bnot however too impressed with my screen's capabilities as it is difficult to see what i am writing now.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 am, Blogger Katherine said...

I think Ardee must be the Skibereen of Louth, there's a mental hospital there too. Many's the time Mammy or Daddy Kenny threatened to send us off. Of course, now I know the appropriate response would be, "I'll Ardee you in a minute".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home