Sunday, April 03, 2005

Yesterday's news

Everything in irkutsk, including the people has come out of hibernation. I have seen three flies so far. Its amazing the change in a few weeks, people are out walking everywhere, strolling, rambling, drinking, chatting. The abyss of white has snuck away, leaving behind innumerable shades of brown as the dead vegetation struggles to reincarnate itself amidst the sludge and muck. I can only begin to imagine the kind of duality needed to live permanently in these conditions. Perhaps somehow this explains at least one element of the Russian mind. The ability to so succintly separate things, people and different facets of your life allowing no bridges between. It could be a natural thing, with nature somehow pervading their thinking and erasing all memories of the long harsh winter with a few days of pleasant sunshine. Pathetic fallacy. I didn't need to wear my jacket today.

1 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Blogger Katherine said...

Orlagh, you'll be in your bikini yet!

Gorgeous in Dub-eh-lin today sunny and cloudy but always bright. Lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home