de news from de city
I got a job, though if anyone has any connections with the social welfare I've just applied at the moment and am waiting for a response. Working for a photographer who does mainly weddings and press work, it was as usual a bit of a strange one. It all started when.... Mom collected myself and Dad at the airport last week. We were still laughing at the fact that our renegade baskets were careering around the carousel as we arrived in the baggage hall. There was no mistaking the fact we were back in Cork as my dad knew the passport control man, a bit bizarre really as instead of the usual grunt and cursory glance at the passport, we got an invitation for coffee instead.We went to 'The Wilton' for lunch, this is a bar near the Wilton shopping centre, incidentally on land once owned by SMA priests with whom I had spent most of the previous month. I walked in the door to see a friend of mine Niall sitting at the bar. His first words were "How're ya Orlagh? Do you want a job?", a bit surreal considering the fact that my brain was still in Nairobi. So I emailed your man, who it turns out lives with Niall and the rest as they say is his story.
I'm starting on Monday but to be honest the thought of a five day week scares the hell out of me, no smart comments please, as I've said before I'm just not cut out for the high powered nine to five life and contrary to popular opinion I don't believe its a case of it being necessary for survival. Unlike so many of you, for better or for worse, I don't have any long term commitments, financial or otherwise and thus I suppose can afford to think like this, though my principles may fly out the window with my first pay check!
I planted loads of seeds yesterday, currently sitting in our hot-press in my annual drive to attempt to grow my own food, I haven't been too successful in the past but...Anyway the lettuce is sending out little feelers already, now i'll just have to control my impatience and leave them in the hot-press long enough to germinate properly before transplanting them. I can't stop looking at them though, there is something so satisfying about growing something yourself from seed. It's like an amplified version of the feeling you get when you cook something from scratch (Tractor Punk Curry Monday night!) and it turns out right. I hate to think what I'd be like if I had a child, just basking in self praise all day, every day!

3 Comments:
Good on ya Banker although your description of nine-to-five as high powered isn't true in a lot of cases! You'll be grand wha'?
Does your man have a website?
Hi! Was happy to read some news from you on your blog:)
do you live with your parents now? May be i can call you one day...
Hi Orlagh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for doing it in such a messy way, because I don't know, if I will be able to connect you tomorrow:(
Thanks a lot for the parcel, which I got exactly 2 weeks after you send it to me. The book is brilliant, and thank you for the article about Bjork:)
I liked the paper on which you wrote me the letter. I like the way the letters look like on it. Vitalya says HI!
Post a Comment
<< Home