Sunday, January 30, 2005

Prince Harry

I was looking at some of the news sites about the Auschwitz liberation commemoration. I met a survivor once.
It's strange though, in this time of increased communication and supposed transparency, where we can get information about anywhere and anything at the touch of the 'enter' button on the keyboard, that we (or perhaps just I) know so little about what is actually happening in the world. The Holocaust has become ingrained on our minds and (most) people acknowledge it to have been a horrendous time that should not have been allowed to happen. Why so, do we ignore the situation in the here and now. All over the world there are similar atrocities happening right now and we just live our lives, sometimes remarking or pitying those affected but rarely doing anything about it. For example who knows anything about Pinochet other than the fact that he's in trouble for something. It became fashionable or accepted to hate Bush, but does anybody really stop and think about what he's doing. I mean i don't particularly like the man myself but i would like to think it is because i have looked into the matter rather than mimicking the general consensus or trying to make a fashion statement.
I read an interesting article about the UN instigating a drive against terrorism. However, contrary to Bush's "war against terror" or rather his attempt to instil a fear of such magnitude within in the American people that they would support his outrageous actions, this incentive also delves into the actions of those in the 'civilised' western world. If you have time you should read it, its very interesting and appears to be written by an Irishman or at least of Irish desent, if his name is anything to go by.
Author: Hugh O'Shaughnessy
Title: A Fable from Old New York
Page URL: http://voiceoftheturtle.org/show_printer.php?aid=273

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home